Your official city guide to Bydgoszcz

What to see

In 2004, the Bydgoszcz Fara Church was raised to the rank of Cathedral of the Diocese of Bydgoszcz by the decree of Holy Father John Paul II. However, for many centuries and for dozens of generations of Bydgoszcz residents, it had been the only...
Mill Island is a spatial heart of Bydgoszcz. One of the most unusual and enchanting places in Bydgoszcz. What makes the Island unique? First of all, its location in the heart of the city, just few steps from the Old Market Square. Starting from...
Jerzy Kędziora is the author of this remarkable sculpture . "Man crossing the River" was unveiled on the 1st of May 2004 to commemorate the Polish entry into the European Union. The sculpture was placed on the ropes stretched between the banks of...
It is one of the symbols of Bydgoszcz. The sculpture is located in the Jan Kochanowski Park in the vicinity of the Polish Theatre and the Pomeranian Philharmonic. The sculpture was designed by Ferdinand Lepcke and was unveiled on the 18th of...
The Bydgoszcz granaries on the Brda River are the symbol of the city. They have always been a natural city logo. Why so much sympathy, respect and pride for, you might say, mere granaries - buildings far more modest than extravagant mansions,...
One of the must-have photographs of one’s stay in Bydgoszcz is a photo at the “Deluge” Fountain, which stands in Kazimierz Wielki Park, in the proximity of Wolności Square. This impressive fountain, made by Ferdinand Lepcke, was erected on this...
Although the opera house had been building for more than 30 years, the Opera Nova is one of the most modern theatres in Poland. The rich repertoire includes operas, ballets, operettas and musicals, concerts and performances.
The Music District is one of the most interesting urban planning solutions of the city, and one of the most charming and quietest corners of Bydgoszcz. The main point of the district is the expansive Jan Kochanowski Park, full of statues of...
Lemara Barge, moored at the bank of Brda river, right next to the symbolic Bydgoszcz granaries, is a very unique place. It is both a technology monument and a symbol of a very important part in the history of Bydgoszcz.
Bydgoszcz Canal was built in the years 1773-1774 as a part of the international waterway E 70. It connects the Vistula River and the Odra River through their tributaries: the Brda River, the Notec River and the Warta River. The establishment of...
According to the generally applicable rules of the Middle Ages, the Poor Clares, Carmelite and Bernardine monasteries were located outside the city limits, outside the area bounded by the walls of the city, the branches of the Brda, Młynówka and...
In 1900, on the hill known today as Gen. Henryk Dąbrowski Hill, which is the highest site in relation to the water intake in Las Gdański (Gdańsk Forest) the water tower (designed by Franz Marschal) was opened. It played an important role in the...
Bydgoszcz owes its unusual character to many great people, whose achievements and special contribution to the city is commemorated by putting their signatures on plaques on Długa Street.
The Bydgoszcz Town Hall is the heart of the city. Together with the town church (Fara), its walls and gates have always been one of the foundations of the medieval city. The current City Hall building also has a nearly 400-year-long history.
A little bench (designed by Michał Kubiak) of Marian Rejewski  – a famous mathematician and cryptologist, who contributed to the breaking of the code of the German cipher machine ”Enigma” during the Second World War. The monument is located on...
The spatial character of the establishment resulted from aspiration to minimalise the explosion risk and effects. Several parts of the production process was divided into two separated small buildings. Technological links relied on underground...
The combined dance of light, water and music. Next to the Music District, only 10 min walk from the old town. Fountain has electronically controlled nozzles that move to the music. The ‘Water– Light–Sound’ multimedia shows...
"Under the Eagle" Hotel – an icon of turn of the century Bydgoszcz architecture. The richly decorated building, with eagle's wings over the facade, was designed by prominent architect from Bydgoszcz - Józef Święcicki.
Every day at 13.13 and 21.13, among the clouds of smoke and to the accompaniment of music, Master Twardowski appears in one of the windows of tenement house No. 15 in the Old Market Square. In this building, there was an inn "Gospoda Pod...
St. Vincent de Paul Basilica Minor, built between 1925 and 1939, is the largest church in Bydgoszcz, and one of the largest in Poland. The Basilica is a monumental building designed by the Polish architect Adam Ballenstaedt and modeled on the...
Bydgoszcz Marina – located on Mill Island, completed in 2012. The building, designed by the design office APA Rokiccy, was already recognised by the architects environment – it is in the final of Life in Architecture competition.
Saint Peter and Saint Paul Apostles Church built in years 1872 – 1878 in neo-gothic style with eclectic and Roman elements. A dome with an octagonal base and slender tower with a spire are characteristic elements of this church.  
Main Post Office is one of the most spectacular buildings located on the Brda river bank. It was built at the end of the 19th century in the so-called Prussian national style. Until today the building is occupied by the post office, open 24-hours.
Sielanka District – the garden city of Bydgoszcz is a very green residential area, designed at the beginning of the 20th century by Joseph Stüben.
The Copernicanum Hall was built between 1903-1906, according to the design of Berlin architects Carl Zaar and Rudolf Vahl. It used to be the site of the municipal junior high school of sciences, the railway technical school and even the military...
August Cieszkowski Street is considered one of the most beautiful streets in Bydgoszcz, thanks to homogenous complex of buildings built in years 1896-1904. Secession style houses decorated with eclectic, neo-baroque and neo-gothic elements were...
Saint Andrew Bobola Church was built at the beginning of the 20th century and until 1945, served the Evangelical community. After the agreement with the Augsburg church it was claimed by the Catholic church.
Covered Market was built in 1904, in neogothic-modernist style, designed by the architecture company Boswau and Knauer GmbH of Berlin. The main entrance with two towers and the city coat of arms is highly interesting.
The Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz is the largest and most important art gallery in Bydgoszcz, established in 1949 (until 2005 known as Biuro Wystaw Artystycznych). The present building of the Gallery was founded in 1970.
A beautiful great-granddaughter of "The Archer Lady " – Łuczniczka Nova was  unveiled on the city’s 667th anniversary. The sculptor Maciej Jagodziński-Jagenmeer is a greatly talented artist from Toruń. Inspired by Lepcki’s work, he created a...
Wolności Square (Freedom Square), the 17th-century Poor Clare sisters former garden, located on Gdańska Street in Bydgoszcz, creates a real "salon" of the city. Though it had been laid out by 1854, it gained its exceptional atmosphere only in the...

Page 1 of 2

do góry

We use cookies to facilitate the use of our services. If you do not want cookies to be saved on your hard drive, change the settings of your browser.

I understand